The Philadelphia Eagles are 2-0 after defeating the Minnesota Vikings in entrance of a nationwide crowd on Monday Night time Soccer. Ultimate rating: 24 to 7.
Getting into the 2022 season, Jalen Hurts and Jonathan Gannon have been seen because the Eagles’ largest query marks.
On Monday night time, they have been exclamation factors.
The Hurts improve is the largest story to return out of this sport. It was sensational on the market. The third-year quarterback made a sequence of high-level pitches in tight home windows. He threw with quite a lot of precision and contact. He made massive choices and completely regarded on the market. It was probably the most spectacular passing efficiency of his profession. Oh, and he is additionally fairly superb as a racer. On the very least, this was a franchise quarterback efficiency. If he continues to play at this stage, the Eagles might have the NFL’s MVP underneath middle.
Gannon’s protection was not excellent; one can discover issues to quibble about (see: Haason Reddick going into protection to arrange a Vikings landing). General, although, there was clearly much more good than dangerous. After being completely destroyed by any type of competent quarterback, Gannon had solutions for Cousins. The Eagles restricted Minnesota to simply seven factors and completed with a number of turnovers. JG was underneath stress to carry out and located some redemption.
All in all, this was an awesome win for the Eagles. They’re 2-0 with two wins in opposition to NFC opponents.
They’re undefeated coming into one other massive sport in Week 3: an away matchup in opposition to the Washington Commanders.
The Eagles’ first sport in opposition to Carson Wentz since they traded the man Hurts changed.
Learn on for a recap, and keep tuned for post-game protection from BGN.
- The Eagles focused DeVonta Smith on the primary play, which was for a 5-yard reception. Who might have imagined that the Birds would attempt to contact him early? Jalen Hurts rolled proper and located an open Dallas Goedert for a primary down. Miles Sanders’ first carry was for 12 yards. Hurts was tackled for no achieve to generate a third-and-9. On third down, Hurts discovered Kenneth Gainwell brief to catch and run to maneuver the chains…however the massive play was nullified by Landon Dickerson who was illegally a bit beneath the countryside. On 3 and 13, Hurts stood within the pocket with good safety and threw a strike to AJ Brown for a primary down. Good launch! Hurts discovered Zach Pascal brief to transform a Third-and-3. Pascal additionally had a third-down conversion at Detroit final week; he’s a think about these conditions. Two performs later, Hurts surged by means of the contact to hit him for a landing. Robust opening impulse. Bizarre sequence within the Eagles’ further level the place they needed to redo the additional level as a result of “Vikings’ assistants” have been on the sector. How was it not a penalty, then? The Vikings DID then get penalized for being offside… however the Eagles declined the flag as a substitute of making an attempt to go for 2 factors from the 1-yard line. EAGLES 7, VIKINGS 0.
- The Vikings’ first drive was a three-and-out with Darius Slay flattening a Kirk Cousins cross meant for Justin Jefferson. Jefferson wished a cross interference name, however the referees did not give it to him. Slay rapidly grabbed Jefferson’s hand…however refs aren’t all the time going to name that. Nick Sirianni was excited and ran to rejoice with the protection after the save.
- Offensive cross interference on DeVonta turned a third-and-2 right into a third-and-12. Hurts was then sacked from behind after holding onto the ball to power a punt. Jalen Reagor was booed as he lined as much as return the Eagles’ first punt … after which applauded after Zech McPhearson tackled him to achieve only one yard.
- The Vikings obtained to three and 5 and James Bradberry knocked down the third shot to Irv Smith. Robust begin for Jonathan Gannon’s protection.
- The Eagles obtained their fourth offensive penalty of their third sequence. It was his third ineligible man downfield with Isaac Seumalo known as responsible.
- Hurts threw deep to vast open Quez Watkins, who was launched with a Vikings security who incorrectly helped Goedert as a substitute of maintaining the speedy vast receiver. EAGLES 14, VIKINGS 0.
- Jalen Reagor jet swept 3 and 1 for a 17-yard achieve…and boos from the group on the Linc. The Vikings entered the purple zone and Haason Reddick, who fell into protection in opposition to backup tight finish Johnny Mundt, allowed a 17-yard reception to arrange the primary and aim on the 2-yard line. Cousins then hit Irv Smith with a brief cross for the marker. Reddick in insurance coverage protection appears like a waste. EAGLES 14, VIKINGS 7.
- The Eagles obtained to third-and-12 and Hurts went out of bounds earlier than the rating, however they have been helped by a Vikings unlawful contact penalty for a brand new sequence of makes an attempt. Hurts’ first incomplete cross got here on a play during which Goedert was effectively lined and almost made a catch, however Cameron Dantlzer knocked the ball out earlier than the tight finish established possession. Only a nice defensive play to interrupt up a great pitch in a good window. Hurts’ third down cross was accomplished close to the crossbars to power a clearance. Second offensive sequence of the night time with out factors.
- TJ Edwards knocked down a 3rd Cousins cross up the center to power one other three and out.
- Hurts hit DeVonta up the center on back-to-back performs for positive factors of 19 and 16 yards. Then Boston Scott pulled out a tie for 16 yards. Sanders then took a nine-yard tie. Dealing with 3 and a couple of, Hurts ran away…however not only for the primary down. As an alternative of going out, he adopted up a great Goedert block on Harrison Smith after which drove by means of the contact to increase a landing. Fairly superior stuff! EAGLES 21, VIKINGS 7.
- Josh Sweat fired Cousins … however grabbed his masks to finish the sack. Womp Cousins almost obtained fired with a deep pitch that appeared strained by stress … however it nearly went deep to Irv Smith … who as a substitute dropped what might have been a landing. What a break! Particularly for CJ Gardner-Johnson. Cousins’ third down cross was incomplete to immediate one other cease. Unusual the way it wasn’t an intentional penalty when nobody was even near the ball. The referees stated that Dalvin Cook dinner was within the field however… he wasn’t. Completely.
- The Eagles took management at their very own 5-yard line with 1:14 left within the second quarter. Hurts threw the ball with a pleasant contact to a delicate spot to search out DeVonta for a primary down. Hurts hit Goedert for a 19-yard catch-and-run alongside the left sideline. I am unsure why the Vikings left it so vast open. Hurts put in an enormous contact on one other cross to Goedert up the center, one other high-level shot. That completion arrange a 38-yard area aim by Jake Elliott. Enormous to have the ability to get some factors on that drive and make it a three-possession sport. It is arduous to be extra impressed with Hurts! EAGLES 24, VIKINGS 7.
- The Vikings opened the second half by methodically entering into the purple zone. However then Javon Hargrave hit Cousins as he was throwing to power a foul shot that was intercepted by Darius Slay! After the choice, Slay celebrated by working to the sector seats and handing the ball to James Harden. Philadelphia fan fiction involves life.
- The Eagles took over at their very own 19-yard line and drove 3 and 5 from the Vikings 21-yard line. A false begin by Lane Johnson set the Eagles again. The Eagles settled for a 41-yard area aim try … which was blocked. Due to Arryn Siposs for making a deal with to forestall a landing.
- The Vikings took over on the Eagles 24-yard line. And it did not matter as a result of Cousins threw one other decide, this one to Avonte Maddox.
- Hurts made a pleasant throw as he rolled to the left to hit Watkins alongside the sideline for an enormous achieve. Sadly for him, it was dominated out for a holding penalty on Jordan Mailata. The Eagles ended up having to punt.
- The Vikings went on an 11-play, 27-yard drive (so unhappy) that resulted in a punt after a sack by Fletcher Cox.
- Hurts threw a display screen cross to Gainwell that bounced off his arms and was intercepted by … previous pal Jordan Hicks.
- Slay dropped a decide ultimately zone. It was just like the third or fourth shedding decide of the night time for him. Then Slay caught the following one which went in his course for a touchback. Play.
- The Eagles ran a little bit of time after which the Vikings had some rubbish time manufacturing earlier than the sport was formally over. Josh Sweat sacked Cousins on the final play of the sport.
FINAL SCORE: EAGLES 24, VIKINGS 7.
- Quez Watkins was again to take kickoffs.
- AJ Brown was briefly examined within the medical tent halfway by means of the second quarter. Nonetheless, he didn’t miss a second.
The Philadelphia Eagles host the Minnesota Vikings of their first dwelling sport on Monday Night time Soccer. It is a comparatively massive matchup between two 1-0 groups at Lincoln Monetary Area.
The Birds are coming off a win in opposition to the Detroit Lions that wasn’t What as compelling as many hoped it could be. Whereas there have been quite a few positives to take from that sport, there stay considerations about Philadelphia’s protection. Can Jonathan Gannon discover a manner to withstand a quarterback who is not all that horrible? Kirk Cousins has been problematic for the Birds previously and it is arduous to offer Philly’s defensive coordinator the good thing about the doubt as of late.
The Vikings look to comply with up an enormous win over the Inexperienced Bay Packers with one other massive effort. Minnesota’s protection restricted the harm Aaron Rodgers might do in Week 1. There might be stress on the Eagles’ offense to attain massive if Justin Jefferson and Dalvin Cook dinner show as difficult as they appear.
The winner of this sport will really feel nice. They are going to have a 2-0 document and a declare as among the best groups within the NFC. The loser is likely to be pondering they’re good however not ok.
Bleeding Inexperienced Nation can be protecting this sport with reside updates within the type of highlights, evaluations, and so forth. Be sure to comply with it and replace the web page incessantly.
(NOTE: That is NOT a sport thread; it is a reside weblog that may grow to be a roundup of the sport. Use the designated BGN sport threads for every quarter to debate sport happenings there. The primary quarter thread is HERE.)