We’re in a crypto “winter,” however you would not understand it should you attended the annual SALT convention in New York Metropolis this week, sponsored by hedge fund SkyBridge.
Driving the information: Per week in the past, the agency based by Anthony Scaramucci introduced that it had offered a 30% stake to cryptocurrency trade FTX, and the convention felt like an announcement for the hedge fund’s new proprietor.
- FTX was all over the place: logos everywhere in the occasion, an interview with CEO Sam Bankman-Fried to kick off the convention, and its different executives scattered all through the remainder of the day’s program (4 spoke onstage, based on the agenda). ).
The panorama: The value of bitcoin is down 70% from its all-time excessive final November, whereas laser eyes and “.eth” (a reference to ethereum) have all however disappeared from Twitter profiles. Nevertheless, SkyBridge appears to be betting the farm (or a minimum of 30% of it) on cryptocurrencies.
- “We did that as a result of Sam is a visionary and doubtless probably the most visionary particular person in crypto,” Scaramucci advised a bunch of reporters on the occasion. “[Crypto] It is higher expertise than present expertise.
- Whereas FTX solely purchased a fraction of the funding agency, it has the choice to amass as much as 85% as a part of the deal, based on Scaramucci.
- The agency instantly bought $40 million price of crypto belongings, though it declined to call them to keep away from creating “hype”. It would additionally proceed to spend money on non-crypto belongings.
Retrospective scene: The union between the 2 firms just isn’t the start of their shut relationship. As a part of a multi-year deal, FTX funded SkyBridge’s crypto-focused convention final April, which even befell within the Bahamas. That is the place FTX moved final yr.
- Discussions initially centered on the 2 firms partnering ultimately, however finally become a dialogue of investments.
- The 2 got here to phrases over a vegetarian meal on the Rosewood Baha Mar resort within the Bahamas, based on Scaramucci. They settled on a 30% share as a compromise.
- And it is no surprise SkyBridge was so receptive to the ultimate deal: In 2017, the corporate signed a deal to promote itself to China’s HNA Group. Nevertheless, following regulatory stress, the acquisition was deserted the next yr.
The underside line: We could also be in a bear market, however the true believers in cryptocurrencies is not going to be form to that good night time.
- A chorus that got here up time and again on the convention was that “crypto winter” is when among the finest firms and funding alternatives are constructed.